Bundley, or Bondleigh (St. James)
BUNDLEY, or Bondleigh (St. James), a parish, in the union of Oakhampton, hundred of North Tawton, South Molton and N. divisions of Devon, 2 miles (N. N. W.) from North Tawton; containing 342 inhabitants. It is situated on the river Taw, and comprises 1479 acres, of which 167 are common or waste. A small number of persons are employed in weaving and glove-making. Stone is quarried for the roads. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £10. 17. 8½., and in the patronage of the Wyndham family; net income, £232. The church has some remains of Norman architecture, and an ancient font. There is a place of worship for Bible Christians.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.