Bucklebury (St. Mary)
BUCKLEBURY, anciently Burghulbury (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Bradfield, partly in the hundred of Reading, and partly in that of Faircross, county of Berks, 7 miles (E. N. E.) from Newbury; containing, with the tythings of Bucklebury, Hawkridge, and Marlston, 1277 inhabitants, of whom 1065 are in Bucklebury tything. The parish comprises 6025a. 7p., of which 3443 acres are arable, 1000 copse-wood, 726 meadow, and 854 common land. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £17; patron and impropriator, W. H. H. Hartley, Esq., lord of the manor: the great tithes have been commuted for £75. 10., and the vicarial for £340; the glebe consists of nearly 31 acres, with a glebe-house. The church contains a monument to the memory of Viscountess Bolingbroke, and others to the ancient family of Winchcombe; a good organ was presented by the late incumbent, the Rev. W. Hartley. Not far from the church stood the old manor-house, which, from decay, was taken down in 1833, when some very ancient arches of carved oak, with several pieces of coin and tessellated pavement, were discovered: there are still some remains of a subterraneous passage, through which the celebrated Lord Bolingbroke is reported to have escaped.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.