DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.
UK Genealogy Archives logo

Bromley, Abbots (St. Nicholas)

BROMLEY, ABBOTS (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Uttoxeter, S. division of the hundred of Pirehill, N. division of the county of Stafford, 12½ miles (E.) from Stafford, and 130 (N. W. by N.) from London; containing 1508 inhabitants. This place is bounded on the south-west by the river Blythe, and derives its distinguishing name from a Benedictine monastery founded at Blythebury, in the neighbourhood, in the latter part of the reign of Henry I., or the beginning of that of Stephen, by Hugh Mavesyn, and dedicated to St. Giles. The parish comprises 9392a. 17p., and contains the manor of Abbots or Paget's Bromley, the property of the Marquess of Anglesey; the manor of Bagots-Bromley, the ancient possession of the Bagot family, of Blithfield Hall, to whom it belonged prior to the Conquest; the manor of Bromley-Park, consisting of upwards of 900 acres, belonging to the Earl of Dartmouth; and the liberty of Bromley-Hurst. The trade is principally in malt, which is sold to some extent. The market here has been discontinued for many years: the market-house is an ancient building covered with shingles. The fairs are on March 11th, May 22nd, and September 4th, and are chiefly for cattle. The turnpikeroad from Uttoxeter to Lichfield passes through the village, which is six miles distant from the former, and twelve from the latter place.

The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 1. 8.; net income, about £155; patron and impropriator, the Marquess of Anglesey. The church is an ancient structure, partly in the decorated and partly in the later English style, with a Norman entrance; it has undergone considerable repairs, and been much modernised. There is a place of worship for Independents. A free school was founded in 1606, by Richard Clarke, who left £300 to purchase land for its endowment; the annual income is £20. An hospital was founded in 1702, by Lambard Bagot, Esq., who bequeathed £800 for its erection and endowment, for six aged men, three of this parish, and one from each of the parishes of Yoxhall, Hanbury, and Tatenhill; the income was augmented by Charles Bagot, Esq., and a matron has been added, who, as well as each of the inmates, receives a stipend of £10 per annum.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.