Brockley (St. Nicholas)
BROCKLEY (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Bedminster, hundred of Chewton, E. division of Somerset, 9 miles (S. W.) from Bristol; containing 171 inhabitants. This parish, which is beautifully situated on the road from Bristol to Weston-super-Mare, comprises by computation 700 acres. There are some quarries of limestone of excellent quality. Lead-ore exists in the eastern part of the parish, and there are numerous basaltic columns, similar to those forming the Giant's Causeway in Ireland. About a quarter of a mile to the south-east of the church, is a strikingly romantic glen called Brockley-Coombe, nearly a mile in length, inclosed on each side by steep banks of rugged rocks, rising to the height of nearly 300 feet, and thickly interspersed with trees of luxuriant growth. The Bristol and Exeter railway skirts the parish, about a mile to the north of the church. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 18. 4.; net income, £128; patrons, the Trustees of the late Rev. Wadham Pigott. The church is an ancient structure, with a square embattled tower, and a south porch; the interior displays much elegance.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.