Brinkley (St. Mary)
BRINKLEY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Newmarket, hundred of Radfield, county of Cambridge, 5½ miles (S. by W.) from Newmarket; containing 366 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13. 6. 8.; net income, £241; patrons, the Master and Fellows of St. John's College, Cambridge: land and a money payment were assigned in 1811, in lieu of tithes. The parish is entitled to the fifth part of an estate at Oakington, producing in the whole £100 per annum, given by Mrs. Elizabeth March, in 1729; it is paid to a master for the instruction of children.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.