Brimpsfield (St. Michael)
BRIMPSFIELD (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Cirencester, hundred of Rapsgate, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 8 miles (E. N. E.) from Cirencester; containing 417 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 2612 acres, of which nearly equal portions are arable and pasture, with 250 acres of wood; the soil varies considerably, but is generally a light loam. A part of the land lies high, being on the Cotswold hills, but it is interspersed with some fertile and well-wooded valleys, possessing much beauty: the river Stroudwater has its source within the parish. Good building-stone is found. The living is a discharged rectory, with that of Cranham consolidated, valued in the king's books at £9. 12. 1., and in the patronage of William Goodrich, Esq.: the tithes of Brimpsfield have been commuted for £303, and of Cranham for £162; the glebe contains 32 acres. The church is a small ancient structure. The Roman Ermin-street passes along the northern side of the parish. An alien priory of Benedictine monks, subordinate to the abbey of St. Stephen, at Fountenay, in Normandy, anciently existed here; also a castle, destroyed by Edward II. on his march from Cirencester to Worcester.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.