Brickhill, Bow (All Saints)
BRICKHILL, BOW (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Newport-Pagnell, hundred of Newport, county of Buckingham, 2 miles (E.) from Fenny-Stratford; containing 566 inhabitants. The parish is intersected by the Roman Watling-street; and comprises by computation 1550 acres, the soil of which is various, being sandy on the hills, and heavy clay in other parts: a very hard species of ironstone is quarried for building. Many females and children are employed in making lace and platting straw. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £15. 0. 2½., and in the patronage of Queen's College, Cambridge; net income, £370. Land and annual money payments were assigned under an inclosure act, in 1790, in lieu of tithes; the land consists of 250 acres. The church was enlarged a few years since. Charles Purrett, in 1633, left several bequests for charitable purposes. There is a national school, and the poor have 198 acres of heath land. The remains of the Roman station Magiovintum are still visible here, and coins are frequently turned up by the plough.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.