Brede (St. George)
BREDE (St. George), a parish, in the union of Rye, partly in the hundred of Staple, but chiefly in that of Gostrow, rape of Hastings, E. division of Sussex, 4 miles (S. by W.) from Northiam; containing 1151 inhabitants. This parish, distinguished by the divisions of Broad Oak and Brede High, is bounded on the south by the Brede channel, which is navigable for barges, and over which is a bridge; and is intersected in the eastern portion by the road from London to Rye. It comprises 4834a. 3r. 8p., whereof 1960 acres are arable, 1091 pasture, and 1316 woodland; the soil is favourable for the growth of hops, which are successfully cultivated. The village is pleasantly situated on a hill commanding extensive and finely varied prospects. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12. 10. 5.; net income, £702; patron and incumbent, the Rev. J. W. Maher. The church consists of a nave, aisles, and chancel, with a square embattled tower surmounted by a low spire, the whole thoroughly repaired in 1840. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans at Broad Oak; and the union workhouse is in the parish. Dr. Horne, Bishop of Norwich, in 1790, was a native of Brede.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.