Brailsford (All Saints)
BRAILSFORD (All Saints), a parish, in the hundred of Appletree, S. division of the county of Derby, 7 miles (N. W. by W.) from Derby; containing, with the township of Ednaston, 756 inhabitants, of whom 539 are in that portion exclusive of the township. The manor, which in the reign of the Confessor had belonged to Earl Wallef, was one of those given by William the Conqueror to Henry de Ferrers, under whom it was held by Elsin, ancestor of the ancient family of Brailsford. From the Brailsfords the property passed by marriage to the Bassetts, and from them in the same way to the Shirleys: the manor now belongs to the Evans family. The parish comprises 4296a. 33p., whereof two-thirds are pasture, and the remainder arable and woodland; it is situated on the road from Derby to Ashbourn. Brailsford House and Culland Hall are the property of the family of Cox. The living is a rectory, with that of Osmaston annexed, valued in the king's books at £9. 19. 2., and in the patronage of Earl Ferrers. The tithes of the parish have been commuted for £500, and the glebe consists of about 72 acres, valued at £100 per annum, with a residence. The church, which stands on an eminence, is a handsome edifice with a tower; some portions of it are in the Norman style, but its architecture is chiefly of the early part of the 15th century. On the floor are several alabaster slabs: two of them have effigies, in scroll lines, of knights in armour; and on a third is the representation of a priest in his vestments. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have places of worship; and schools built in 1831, by William Evans, Esq., are supported by subscription. The Venerable Archdeacon Shirley, rector of Brailsford, was raised to the bishopric of Sodor and Man, in 1846, but only held the prelacy a few months, his death occurring in April 1847.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.