Whitechurch or Castlane
WHITECHURCH, or CASTLANE, a parish, in the barony of IVERK, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 2 miles (N. E.) from Carrick-on-Suir, on the road to Kilkenny; containing 778 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the river Lingan, near its junction with the Suir, and comprises 1312 acres, as applotted under the tithe act, all arable and pasture land; there is abundance of limestone, and the system of agriculture has much improved. The seats are Castletown, the fine mansion of Michael Cox, Esq., situated in a well-wooded demesne and built by Archbishop Cox, grandfather of the present proprietor; Ballycaushlawne Lodge, the residence of R. B. Osborne, Esq.; and Anneborough, of the late R. Sauce, Esq. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, and in the patronage of the Crown and the Bishop; the tithes amount to £221. The church is a neat building with a spire, erected by Archbishop Cox, and to which, in 1766, the late Board of First Fruits gave £200, and in 1820 £300. The glebe-house was built in 1813, by aid of a gift of £400 and a loan of £316 from the same Board; the glebe comprises 16 acres. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Templeorum. The parochial school is supported by the Earl of Besborough and the rector, and two other public schools are maintained by Mrs. Cox; in these schools about 140 children are instructed: there are also a private school and a dispensary.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis