DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.
UK Genealogy Archives logo

Tuosist or Kilmacalogue

TUOSIST, or KILMACALOGUE, a parish, in the barony of GLANEROUGH, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, 12 miles (S. W.) from Kenmare, on the bay of that name; containing 6376 inhabitants. This parish is considered to be one of the wildest and most irreclaimable districts in the county: it is separated on the south-east from the county of Cork by a range of lofty and almost impassable mountains, and extends for about nine miles along the southern shore of the great estuary, or bay of Kenmare, an inlet of which, called Ardgroom Harbour, forms its boundary on the south-west. The ancient castle of Ardea, now in ruins, occupies a bold and romantic situation on a lofty cliff overlooking the bay; it was once the seat of the O'Sullivans, some of whose descendants still exist in this district. In 1602 a Spanish ship landed supplies of money and ammunition at this castle, which encouraged some of the native Irish to assemble in the mountains, but they were soon dispersed by Lord Barry, Sir G. Thornton, and Sir C. Wilmot. According to ancient computation the parish, which is entirely the property of the Marquess of Lansdowne, comprises 97½ gneeves, or upwards of 40,000 statute acres, consisting chiefly of rocky mountain and bog; in the hollows among the mountains are several lakes, some of which are extremely picturesque, and near the bay is one of considerable size called Lough Cloney. The principal residence is Deireen, that of Peter McSweeny, Esq. There is a considerable domestic manufacture of coarse flannel, which is chiefly sold in the town of Kenmare; and several of the inhabitants are occasionally employed in the fishery of the bay: at Ardea is a good salmon fishery. The small bay or harbour of Kilmacalogue affords shelter for vessels of considerable size. Off the coast is a small island called Dinis, the property of H. A. Herbert, Esq., of Muckross, on which is a cottage with a neat plantation, and immediately adjoining is a fine oyster bed. On this island are vestiges of a small chapel, supposed to have formerly belonged to the abbey of Muckross; and it is traditionally stated that an establishment existed here for supplying the monks with oysters, the shells of which had accumulated to such an extent, as to have been lately used as manure: a considerable quantity of sea-weed is collected on its shores, and used for the same purpose. The parish is in the diocese of Ardfert and Aghadoe, and is a rectory, forming part of the union of Kenmare: the tithes amount to £226. 13. 7¾. British, exclusive of £15. 6. 11½. late currency, payable to the Archdeacon of Aghadoe. There is a glebe of four acres; and another of the same extent belonging to the archdeacon. In the R. C. divisions it forms the head of a union or district, called Lochurt, or Carks, comprising also that part of the parish of Kenmare lying on the south side of the river, and containing the chapels of Daurus and Deireen. At Ardea is a house for the priest, built by the Marquess of Lansdowne, who has also, in conjunction with the National Board, lately erected school-houses at Carks and Cloney, previously to which about 120 children were educated in three private schools. The ruins of the old church still exist in the burial-ground near the harbour of Kilmacalogue; and at Lochurt are the remains of a druidical circle. In the vicinity of Ardea is the small Lough Quinlan, in which are some remarkable little floating islands.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis

Advertisement

Advertisement