DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.
UK Genealogy Archives logo

Thomastown

THOMASTOWN, a parish, in the barony of EAST OPHALY, county of KILDARE, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (N. by W.) from Kildare, on the road to Rathangan; containing 139 inhabitants, and comprising 823 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Kildare, episcopally united to the rectories of Dunmany and Pollardstown, and in the patronage of the Duke of Leinster: the tithes amount to £58. 1., and the gross tithes of the union to £208. 1. The glebe house was erected in 1828, by aid of a gift of £450 and a loan of £120 from the late Board of First Fruits, and a gift of £200 from the Duke of Leinster; the glebe comprises 8 acres. The church is a small handsome building in the Gothic style, erected in 1827 by a gift of £900 from the same Board, and to the repairs of which the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have lately granted £234. A parochial school, in which about 20 children are taught, is entirely supported by the rector; the school-house is a neat slated building.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis

Advertisement

Advertisement