TERRYRONE, a village, in the parish of UPPER MOVILLE, barony of ENNISHOWEN, county of DONEGAL, and province of ULSTER, 8 miles (N.) from Londonderry, on the road to Moville; the population is returned with the parish. This village was formerly of some importance, having been then inhabited by the farmers of the adjoining lands on the system of "Rundale," but that system having been broken up by the proprietor, the Earl of Caledon, the farmers now reside on their respective lands, and the village has in consequence been almost deserted. Though the land in the vicinity is in general poor, the state of agriculture has been lately much improved under the patronage of its noble proprietor. Here is a school established by Lord Caledon, and now in connection with the National Board; the school-house was built at his lordship's expense.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis