Alford (All Saints)
ALFORD (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Wincanton, hundred of Catsash, E. division of Somerset, 1¾ mile (W. by N.) from Castle-Cary; containing 90 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, consolidated with that of Hornblotton by act of parliament in 1836, and valued in the king's books at £9. 9. 9.; patron and incumbent, the Rev. J. G. D. Thring. The tithes have been commuted for £140, and there are 40 acres of glebe. At a farmhouse, called Alford Well, about threequarters of a mile from the church, is a saline chalybeate spring, now disused.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.