Skreen or Skryne
The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Meath, united by act of council, in 1677, to the rectory of Rathfeigh, the vicarage of Dowthstown, the impropriation of Kilcarn, and the chapelries of Templecarne and Lismullen, and in the patronage of the Crown; the tithes amount to £280, and the gross value of the benefice is £660. 1. 4. The glebe-house, situated in this parish, was built in 1813, at a cost of £1754, of which £100 was a gift and £900 a loan from the late Board of First Fruits, the residue having been supplied by the then, incumbent. The glebes of the union comprise 26 acres, valued at £53. 8. 0. per annum. The church of the union is in Templecarne; it was built about 1809, by a gift of £500 and a loan of £500 from the same Board, and has lately been repaired by aid of £116, from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district comprising this parish and those of Taragh, Rathfeigh, Lismullen, Templekieran, and Macetown, and containing two chapels, at Skreen and Rathfeigh: the former is a handsome edifice, with a lofty steeple, opened in 1827; the interior is very neat, and has a painting over the altar: the building was erected by subscription, to which the principal contributors were E. Corbally and T. Maher (of Clonstown), Esqrs. The parochial school is aided by an annual donation from the rector, who gives a house and garden rent-free: a school at Ross is aided by an annual gift from Earl Ludlow; and a third school by a legacy of £10 per ann.: in these schools about 180 children are taught. A national school is in course of erection on part of the chapel-yard, the ground having been given on a 999 years' lease, at a nominal rent, by A. J. Dopping, Esq.; the building is spacious and well-constructed, and will include a residence for the master. The old castle has been enlarged and modernised, and is now occupied by a farmer. On an eminence, and conspicuous at a great distance, are considerable remains of the ancient church or monastery, consisting of the tower and shell of the building, with a burial-ground attached. Skryne gave the title of Baron (now extinct) to the family of Feypo.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis