The parish comprises 3847 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act: the land is of good quality; the greater portion is under tillage and based on a substratum of limestone; the system of agriculture is much improved, and there is an abundant supply of bog. The principal seats in the parishes forming the union are Cangort, the residence of G. Atkinson, Esq., a handsome mansion erected on the site of the ancient castle; Cangort Park of W. Trench, Esq., a handsome modern mansion in a demesne embellished with some fine old timber; Glasshouse, of T. Spunner, Esq.; Milltown, the property of the same gentleman; Oakwood, of D. Smith, Esq.; Rutland, of C. H. Minchin, Esq.; Corolanty, of R. Hammersley, Esq.; Clareen, of H. Smith, Esq.; Derry, of A. P. Doolan, Esq.; Ballingor, of F. H. Toone, Esq.; Annaville, of J. Smith, Esq.; Bellfield, of J. Walker, Esq.; and Rathcahill, of B. F. White, Esq. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Killaloe, united by act of council in 1792, to the rectory and vicarage of Kilmurry-Ely and the rectory of Kilcomin, and in the patronage of the Bishop. The tithes amount to £193. 16. 11¼.; the glebe-house, towards the erection of which the late Board of First Fruits made a gift of £100, was built in 1794, and the glebe comprises 21¾ acres, exclusively of 54¾ acres in the other parishes of the union, and the tithes of the whole benefice amount to £583. 10. 9½. The church, a handsome building, was erected in 1819, for which purpose the late Board of First Fruits granted a loan of £2300. In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, comprising also the parish of Kilmurry-Ely; in each of these there is a chapel. There are also two places of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. About 230 children are taught in four public schools, of which one is partly supported by the rector and one by an annual donation of £25 from W. Trench, Esq.; and there are three private schools, in which are about 85 children. A poor's fund and a loan fund are supported by subscription; and there are also a dispensary and a fever hospital. On the demesne of Corolanty are the ruins of an old castle; and there are two chalybeate springs in the parish, not much frequented.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis