SHANNON-HARBOUR, a village, in the parish of GALLEN, barony of GARRYCASTLE, KING'S county, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (W.) from Cloghan; containing 199 inhabitants. It is situated at the junction of the Grand Canal with the river Shannon, and near the Upper Brosna river, which falls into the Shannon a little above it. Here is one of the stations of the Inland Steam-Navigation Company, from which, on the arrival of the canal packet-boat from Dublin, a steamer starts for Portumna, Killaloe, and Limerick. In the village, which in 1831 contained 33 houses, is a station of the constabulary police.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis