Alexton (St. Peter)
ALEXTON (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Billesdon, hundred of East Goscote, N. division of the county of Leicester, 3½ miles (W. by N.) from Uppingham; containing 81 inhabitants. This parish, which is separated from Rutland by the river Eye, and is situated near the road from Leicester to Cambridge, comprises 997a. 28p., nearly the whole of it good grazing land, and, with the exception of 200 acres, tithe-free; the soil is a stiff clay, and the surface undulated and pleasingly wooded. The ancient Hall, built in the reign of Elizabeth, is adorned with avenues of Scotch and Balm of Gilead firs, which are considered the finest in this part of the country. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 18. 4.; net income, £140; patron, Lord Berners. Attached are 24 acres of glebe within the parish, and two in Belton Field. The church was built in 1594, by Edward Andrewes.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.