POLEROAN, a parish, in the barony of IVERK, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 6 miles (N. W.) from Waterford, on the road to Carrick-on-Suir, and on the north-eastern bank of the river Suir; containing 1245 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, united by act of council, in 1680, to the vicarages of Portnescully and Illud, together constituting the union of Poleroan, in the gift of the Corporation of Waterford, in whom the rectory is impropriate. The tithes amount to £300, of which one-half is payable to the impropriators, and the other to the vicar: the entire tithes of the benefice amount to £270. There is a glebe-house with a glebe of 4¼ acres. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Moncoin. About 60 children are educated in a private school.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis