Muckalee or Muckully
MUCKALEE, or MUCKULLY, a parish, in the barony of FASSADINING, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (S.) from Castlecomer, on the road to Kilkenny, and on the river Dinin; containing 885 inhabitants. From the similarity of name, and its situation, it is supposed that this place was the Magh-ailbee, where, according to Keating, Cormac, king of Munster, the king of Ossory, and various other chieftains, were slain in 913. A battle appears to have been fought in the vicinity, as a burial-ground is marked by a number of upright stones, south-east of Purcell's hill, where the slain were interred. The parish comprises 26,493 statute acres, of which 8288 are arable, 1459 pasture, and the remainder waste or bog. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, forming part of the union of Dunmore; the rectory is impropriate in the corporation of Kilkenny. The tithes amount to £150, of which £100 is payable to the corporation, and £50 to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Templeorum. There are two private schools, one of which is aided by subscription, in which about 160 children are educated. On the neighbouring hill of Knockmajor is a small circular enclosure; and in the valley beneath, towards Wildfield, many old spear heads have been found. Yellow ochre, of a soft quality, is found at Wildfield; and there is a weak chalybeate spring near the church of Coolcullen.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis