MAGHERALLY, a parish, in the barony of LOWER IVEAGH, county of DOWN, and province of ULSTER, 3 miles (E.) from Banbridge, on the road to Downpatrick; containing 3189 inhabitants. This parish, called also Magherawley, comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 5243¾ statute acres, of which 22½ are water, and the remainder, with the exception of about 150 acres of bog, good arable and pasture land; the soil is fertile, and the system of agriculture improving. The principal seats are Tullyhenan, the residence of J. Lindsay, Esq.; and the glebe-house, of the Rev. M. Sampson. Many of the inhabitants are employed in weaving linen for the manufacturers at Banbridge. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Dromore, the rectory forming part of the union of Aghaderg and of the corps of the deanery of Dromore, and. the vicarage in the patronage of the Bishop. The tithes amount to £190. 14. 6., of which £60. 10. is payable to the dean, and £130. 4. 6. to the vicar; the gross revenue of the benefice, including tithes and. glebe, and an augmentation from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners of £31. 8. 0., is £191. 12. 6. The glebe-house was built in 1780, at an expense of £276. 18. 5½, of which one-third was a gift from the late Board of First Fruits, and the remainder paid by the incumbent; the glebe comprises 20 acres, valued at £30 per ann., held under the see of Dromore at 5s. per annum. The church, a small but handsome modern edifice with a tower and spire, towards which the late Board of First Fruits gave £276. 18. 5½., is situated on an eminence. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Tullylish. There is a place of worship for Presbyterians in connection with the Synod of Ulster, of the second class. About 160 children are taught in the parochial school, built in 1828, and now in connection with the New Board of Education; since that period schools have been established at Corbet, Ballymoney, and Mullaghfernaghan. There are also three private schools, in which are about 260 children. Numerous forts are scattered over the parish, but they are rapidly disappearing in consequence of the advancement of agriculture.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis