KILRUSH, a parish, in the barony of CRANAGH, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 1 mile (W.) from Freshford, on the road to Johnstown; containing 754 inhabitants. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, forming part of the union of Freshford and of the corps of the prebend of Aghoure in the cathedral of Kilkenny. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Urlingford. In civil arrangements it is reckoned part of Clomantagh.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis