Kilmannan or Kilmannon
KILMANNAN, or KILMANNON, a parish, in the barony of BARGY, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 6 miles (s. w.) from Wexford, on the road to Bannow; containing 794 inhabitants. It comprises 3339 statute acres, and contains Sledagh, the seat of B. Wilson, Esq. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Ferns, forming part of the union of Mulrankin; the tithes amount to £190. 0. 8. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Rathangan, and has a chapel at Claristown. There are two public schools, one attached to the R. C. chapel, in which about 140 children are educated. The tower, or belfry, of the old church is still standing, and from its large size is called the castle of Kilmannon. Here is also an ancient castle called Great Gurteen.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis