Boughton (St. John the Baptist)
BOUGHTON (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Brixworth, hundred of Spelhoe, S. division of the county of Northampton, 3¾ miles (N.) from Northampton; containing 389 inhabitants. This parish, formerly called Buckton, is bounded on the west and north by the river Nene, and intersected by the road from Northampton to Leicester; and comprises by computation about 1400 acres: limestone is quarried, principally for the roads. A chartered fair for cattle and for manufactured wares is held on the 24th of June, and two following days. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £20. 9. 7.; net income, £368; patron, Col. R. W. H. Howard Vyse: the tithes have been commuted for 184 acres of land; and a house has been lately built by Col. Vyse, in which the rector, the Rev. G. S. Howard Vyse, resides. The church, having been enlarged, was reconsecrated in March 1847. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. Humphrey's charity, consisting of about 49 acres of land and three tenements, in Pitsford, the rent of which is £160 per annum, is applied by the feoffees, according to the will of the benefactor, in providing coal for the poor, apprenticing children, mending the highways, and repairing the church. Some slight remains still exist of an ancient family mansion, the residence of Lord Strafford.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.