DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.
UK Genealogy Archives logo

Killeheny or Killahinny

KILLEHENY, or KILLAHINNY, a parish, in the barony of IRAGHTICONNOR, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, 11 miles (S. W. by W.) from Tarbert, on the south-eastern shore of the estuary of the Shannon; containing 2316 inhabitants. It comprises 7316 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, about one-third of which is arable land of good quality; the remainder is coarse mountain pasture, with a great quantity of bog. Agriculture is improving; sea-weed and sea-sand are used as manures, and good limestone is abundant. Fine salmon and trout are taken in the river Cashen. There is a telegraph on Knockanore mountain. Spraymount is the residence of Capt. W. Raymond, and the other seats are those of Capt. Hewson, and C. Julian, Esq. In the grounds of the latter some skeletons in stone graves were discovered in 1829. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ardfert and Aghadoe, forming part of the union of Aghavallin; the rectory is impropriate in A. Stoughton, Esq. The tithes amount to £124. 12. 3., of which £83. 1. 4. is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Lisseltin, and has a chapel at Ballybunnian. About 50 children are educated in a private school. Here are the celebrated caverns of Ballybunnian., which are described under the head of that place.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis

Advertisement

Advertisement