Killaney or Killeney
KILLANEY, or KILLENEY, a parish, in the barony of UPPER CASTLEREAGH, county of DOWN, and province of ULSTER, 4 miles (W. by S.) from Saintfield, on the road from that place to Ballinahinch; containing 1298 inhabitants. According to the Ordnance survey, it comprises 2859 statute acres, of which 68¼ are water: the land is good, and under an excellent system of cultivation, producing abundant crops. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Down, and in the patronage of the Marquess of Downshire, in whom the rectory is impropriate: the tithes amount to £85. There is neither church, glebe-house, nor glebe. The church was greatly injured in 1641, and is now in ruins, but divine service is regularly performed in the parochial school-house. There is a Presbyterian meeting-house. The parochial school is supported by the Marquess of Downshire and the vicar. The school-house was built by subscription; about 30 children are educated in it and 100 in a private school; and there is a Sunday school.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis