BOSTOCK, a township, in the parish of Davenham, union and hundred of Northwich, S. division of the county of Chester, 2¾ miles (N. W. by W.) from Middlewich; containing 190 inhabitants. This place gave name to a family descended from Osmerus, lord of Bostock in the reign of William the Conqueror: the heiress of the elder branch brought the manor in the latter part of the 15th century to the Savages. In 1755 it was sold by Sir Thomas Whitmore to the Tomkinsons. The township comprises 1523 acres; the soil is sand and clay. The Liverpool and Birmingham railway passes about a mile to the west of the village. The tithes have been commuted for £75. 11.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.