KILCOMMON, a parish, in the barony of BALLINACOR, county of WICKLOW, and province of LEINSTER; containing, with the post-town of Tinahely, 3470 inhabitants. It comprises 11,119 acres of moderately fertile land, in a good state of cultivation, the system of agriculture having been greatly improved under the influence of the Shillelagh Agricultural Society: there are some mountain land and peat bog. The principal seats are Ballybeg, the residence of Mrs. Symes; Rockingham, of the Rev. W. Barber; Town View, of H. Morton, Esq.; Ballyshonogue, of R. Bates, Esq.; and the residence of the parish priest, which was built by Earl Fitzwilliam. The parish is in the diocese of Ferns, and is a rectory, forming part of the union and prebend of Crosspatrick in the cathedral of Ferns: the tithes amount to £456. 18. 5¾. The church, a neat building, was enlarged in 1820, for which the late Board of First Fruits granted a loan of £700. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, comprising the parishes of Kilcommon, Preban, and Kilpipe, and called Killavany and Tinahely: there are chapels at Killavany and Crossbridge, both of which were erected by Earl Fitzwilliam. About 90 children are educated in a public school, to which Earl Fitzwilliam subscribes £6 annually, and about the same number in a private school. See TINAHELY.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis