KILCOMAN, a parish, in the barony of CLONLISK, KING'S county, and province of LEINSTER, ¾ of a mile (N. W.) from Shinrone, on the river Brosna; containing 1791 inhabitants. St. Cumin, who died in 668, founded an abbey here of which there are still some remains. The parish comprises 3175 statute acres. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Killaloe, and forms part of the union of Shinrone: the tithes amount to £156. 18. 5½. In the R. C. divisions also it is included in the union or district of Shinrone. About 60 children are educated in a public school, and there is also a Sunday school.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis