KILCOLEMAN, a parish, partly in the barony of BALLYBRIT, but chiefly in that of CLONLISK, KING'S county, and province of LEINSTER, 2½ miles (S. by E.) from Parsonstown, on the road to Roscrea; containing 2199 inhabitants. This parish derives its name from a religious house founded here in the 6th century, by St. Colman, son of Ãngus, King of Munster, which subsequently became the parish church, but of which there are now no remains. It comprises 6628 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £3713 per annum. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Killaloe, the former constituting part of the union of Parsonstown, and the latter of that of Ettagh; the tithes amount to £198. 9. 2¾. Divine service is performed every Sunday in a private house licensed for that purpose. In the R. C. divisions the parish is united to that of Ettagh, in each of which is a chapel. About 25 children are taught in a school at Mountmask, supported by Mr. Synge; and there are five private schools, in which are about 160 children.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis