KENTSTOWN, a parish, in the barony of LOWER DULEEK, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 5 miles (S.) from Slane, on the road from Dublin to Londonderry; containing 500 inhabitants. it comprises 2455 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act: the soil is good, and there is no waste land or bog. Somerville, the seat of Sir Wm. Meredyth Somerville, Bart., a fine mansion in an extensive demesne, has been recently enlarged and improved, and a handsome entrance lodge erected: the grounds are embellished with an expansion of the Nanny water. At Somerville is a constabulary police station. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Meath, united, by act of council in 1751, to the rectory and vicarage of Danistown and the vicarage of Ballymagarvey, forming the union of Kentstown, in the patronage of the Crown and Lord Dunsany. The tithes amount to £200, and the entire tithes of the benefice to £330. The church is a neat edifice with a tower, erected about 80 years since, for the repairs of which the Ecclesiastical Commissioners lately granted £134. The glebe-house, which is near the church, was built by aid of a gift of £100 and a loan of £625 from the late Board of First Fruits, The glebes of the union comprise 13¾ acres, valued at £39. 3. 11. per annum. In the R. C. divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Blacklyon, or Ballymagarvey. A school, in which about 12 girls are educated, was founded and is supported by Lady Maria Somerville.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis