BORROWASH, a hamlet, partly in the parish of Ockbrook, hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, and partly in the parish of Spondon, hundred of Appletree, union of Shardlow, S. division of the county of Derby, 4½ miles (E. by S.) from Derby; containing about 650 inhabitants. This hamlet lies on the high road from Derby to Nottingham; and is watered by the river Derwent, on which are the mills of Messrs. Towle, where the manufacture of lace-thread is carried on, giving employment to about 250 hands. The Derby canal runs near the place; and it has a station on the Midland railway. The Wesleyans have a place of worship; there are also a day, and an infants', school.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.