GROOMSPORT, a village, in the parish of BANGOR, barony of ARDES, county of DOWN, and province of ULSTER, 1½ mile (N. E. by E.) from the sea-port town of Bangor, on the coast road to Donaghadee; containing 408 inhabitauts. It is situated on the south side of Belfast Lough, and has a harbour for small craft chiefly engaged in fishing. Here is a station of the coastguard, forming part of the district of Donaghadee. On the 13th of August, 1689, the advanced army of Wm. III. consisting of about 10,000 troops under the command of Duke Schomberg, disembarked at this place from 70 transports, and encamped for the night: on the following day the Duke proceeded to invest Carrickfergus.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis