GILFORD, a post-town, in the parish of TULLYLISH, barony of LOWER IVEAGH, county of DOWN, and province of ULSTER, 11 miles (N.) from Newry, and 65½ (N.) from Dublin, on the river Bann, and the road from Loughbrickland to Tanderagee and Portadown; containing 529 inhabitants. In 1772, a body of insurgents, calling themselves "Hearts of Oak," committed frequent outrages in this neigbbourhood, and on the 6th of March attacked Gilford Castle, the residence of Sir R. Johnston, Bart., and in the assault the Rev. S. Morell, Presbyterian minister, was shot while attempting to reason with the assailants from a window of the castle; it is now the residence of Sir W. Johnston, Bart. The town is situated on both sides of the river, over which is a handsome stone bridge of two arches, and in the vicinity are a large spinning establishment, some extensive bleach-greens, flour-mills, and chemical works. The canal from Lough Neagh to Newry passes within a mile of the town, and on its banks at that place is a wharf with some good warehouses. Fairs are held on the 21st of June and November; they are toll free and well attended. There is a constabulary police station, and petty sessions are held on alternate Wednesdays. There is a chalybeate spring, the water of which has the same properties as those of Pyrmont. Several gentlemen's seats in the neighbourhood are noticed in the account of Tullylish, which see.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis