Bonchurch (St. Boniface)
BONCHURCH (St. Boniface), a parish, in the liberty of East Medina, Isle of Wight division of the county of Southampton, ½ a mile (N. E.) from Ventnor; containing 302 inhabitants. This place, lying on the south coast of the island, is of remote antiquity; its church, which is one of the oldest in the neighbourhood, appears to have been originally founded by some monks of the abbey of Lyra, in Normandy, who were sent over to convert the fishermen on this coast to Christianity. The parish comprises 540 acres, whereof 77 are common or waste. The living is a discharged rectory, with that of Shanklin annexed, valued in the king's books at £6. 15. 5.; net income, £134; patrons, Charles Popham Hill, Esq., and the Trustees of the late J. Popham, Esq. The tithes of the parish of Bonchurch have been commuted for a yearly rent-charge of £51. 10., and the glebe consists of 4¾ acres. Admiral Hobson was a native of the parish.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.