CLOGHAN, a village and post-town, in the parish of GALLEN, barony of GARRYCASTLE, KING'S county, and province of LEINSTER, 4½ miles (N. E.) from Banagher, and 60 (S. W. by W.) from Dublin; containing 460 inhabitants. This place, which is situated on the road from Ferbane to Banagher, and near the river Shannon and the grand canal, contains 84 dwellings, which are chiefty thatched and neatly whitewashed cottages. Fairs are held on Jan. 1st, May 16th, and Oct. 29th; and a constabulary police force is stationed in the village. Numerous ruined castles of the O'Coghlan sept are scattered over the surrounding country, of which the most remarkable is that of Streamstown, near Castle-Iver, where are also some boulting-mills, and about a mile from the village was the ancient manorial mansion of the family.-See GALLEN.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis