Castletown-Delvin
The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Meath; the rectory is partly impropriate in Nicholas Ogle, Esq., and partly appropriate to the vicarage, which was united by diocesan authority, in 1821, to the entire rectory of Clonarney or Clonarvey, and is in the patronage of the Crown and the Marquess of Drogheda. The tithes amount to £449. 18., of which £276. 18. 5. is payable to the impropriator and the remainder to the vicar; and the gross tithes of the benefice amount to £258. 9. 2¼. The church is a plain building of ancient date, but in excellent repair. The glebe-house was built in 1815, by aid of a gift of £400, and a loan of £320, from the late Board of First Fruits: the glebe consists of 13¾ acres of land valued at £18. 9. 2. per annum. In the R.C. divisions the parish forms the head of a union or district, comprising also the parishes of Kilweilagh and Killagh, and containing two chapels, one at Castletown-Delvin, the other at Killulagh. There is a school at Ballyhealy under the patronage of Mrs. Batty, and one at Moortown supported by the Marquess of Westmeath; there is also a national school at Ballinvalley. In these schools are 96 boys and 121 girls; and 170 boys and 110 girls are educated in five private schools. A dispensary is supported in the usual way. The ruins of the old castle built by De Lacy occupy the sides of a quadrangle, with a round tower at each corner; and on eminences near Archerstown are the ruins of two ancient castles, and on a hill further west stands a very conspicuous tower. There is also a round tower on a hill to the south-west of the town and another near Ballyhealy. The remains of a large fortress occupy the summit of an abrupt eminence on the eastern side of the parish; and there are remains of other strong buildings at Cullydougran, on the opposite border. The Marquess of Westmeath enjoys the inferior title of Baron Delvin, in the peerage of Ireland.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis
