BLOXWICH, a chapelry district, in the parish and union of Walsall, S. division of the hundred of Offlow and of the county of Stafford, 2 miles (N. N. W.) from Walsall, on the road to Stafford; containing 3801 inhabitants. In Domesday book this place is described as being held by the king, and having a wood three furlongs in length and one in breadth. From its vicinity to Walsall, it participates in a considerable degree in the manufactures and trade of that town; and advantage is derived from the Essington and Wyrley canal, which passes through the district. The land is of level surface, and the soil gravelly and sandy. Extensive coal and iron mines are in operation: the colliery opened by Messrs. Walter Dudley and Company in 1840, employs 350 hands. Bridle-bits and awl-blades are made in great quantities; and at Goscote is a foundry. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £150, with a house. The church, dedicated to St. Thomas, is a neat edifice with a square tower; it was rebuilt in 1790 and enlarged in 1833, and is in good repair. By an order of council, in August 1842, a district was assigned, comprehending the village of Bloxwich, and the hamlets of Little Bloxwich, Goscote, Blakenall, Coalpool, Harden, and part of the Birchills. There are places of worship for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists; and, at Harden, a Roman Catholic chapel. A national school is supported by subscription; at Blakenall is an infants' school.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.