BALLYTOBIN, a parish, in the barony of KELLS, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (S. E.) from Callan; containing 759 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Callan to Carrick-on-Suir, and comprises 2364 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. Ballytobin House, the seat of Abraham Whyte Baker, Esq., is a place of considerable antiquity, and is situated in a fine demesne abounding with timber of aged growth, with a deer park attached; there is a sycamore tree of very large dimensions near the house. On this estate also is Wellington (formerly called Cahirliske), occupied by J. W. Pope, Esq. Here is a station of the constabulary police. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, and forms part of the union of Kells: the tithes amount. to £150. The church is a neat modern edifice with a spire, built by aid of a gift of £300 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1829, and of £400 from A. W. Baker, Esq., who also allows £10 per ann. to the parish clerk. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Donemagan. There are two private schools, in which are about 40 boys and 20 girls.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis