BALLYCOMMON, a parish, in the barony of LOWER PHILIPSTOWN, KING'S county, and province of LEINSTER, 3½ miles, (W.) from Philipstown, on the road from Dublin to Tullamore, containing 1226 inhabitants. It comprises about 6730 statute acres, ofwhich 4244 are applotted under the tithe act: about 2503 acres are pasture, and 1743 arable land; and there are 2430 acres of bog, 50 of waste, and 5 or 6 of woodland. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Kildare, and in the patronage of the Crown; the tithes amount to £138. 9. 2¾. The church has been lately repaired by a grant of £335 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The glebe-house was built by aid of a gift of £450 and a loan of £160, in 1817, from the late Board of First Fruits; the glebe comprises 3a. 1r. 15p. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Philipstown. There is a school aided by private subscriptions, also a hedge school, in each of which are about 40 children.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis