BALLYCLARE, a market and post-town, partly in the parish of BALLYNURE, but chiefly in that of BALLYEASTON, barony of LOWER BELFAST, county of ANTRIM, and province of ULSTER, 93½ miles (N.) from Dublin; containing 824 inhabitants. This place is situated close to the Six-mile-water, and at the extremity of the mail coach road, which branches off from that between Belfast and Antrim. The town, which is neatly built, contains about 180 houses, and is noted for its monthly linen market, and for its horse fairs, which are held on May 24th, July 19th, Aug. 23rd, and Nov. 22nd. There are places of worship for Presbyterians and Wesleyan Methodists, the former in connection with the presbytery of Antrim, and of the second class.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis