UK Genealogy Archives logo

Blencow, Little

BLENCOW, LITTLE, a township, in the parish of Greystock, union of Penrith, Leath ward, E. division of Cumberland, 4¾ miles (W. N. W.) from Penrith; containing 69 inhabitants. Near an ancient house, once the residence of the Blencows, are some dispersed ruins of buildings, particularly those of a chapel, with a burial-ground adjoining; and near the road is an inclosed cemetery, in which stands a stone cross, with the arms of the family engraved on it.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.