Aughaviller or Aghaviller
AUGHAVILLER, or AGHAVILLER, a parish, in the barony of KNOCKTOPHER, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (S. W.) from Knocktopher, on the road from Kilkenny to Carrick-on-Suir; containing 1887 inhabitants. The farm-houses, being well built and slated, present a neat and comfortable appearance; there is a good freestone quarry in the parish. Castle Morres, the splendid mansion of Harvey de Montmorency, Esq., occupies an elevated site, and has been recently much enlarged and improved. The estate confers the titles of Baron and Viscount Mountmorres in the peerage of Ireland, which are now held by a relation of the present proprietor. Three fairs, called "the fairs of Harvey," are held at Hugginstown. The parish is in the diocese of Ossory, and is a rectory and vicarage, forming part of the union of Knocktopher: the tithes amount to £200. In the R. C. divisions also it is included within the union of Knocktopher, or Ballyhale: it contains two chapels, situated respectively at Newmarket and Hugginstown; in the former is held a Sunday school. Near Castle Morres, within a few yards of the site of the old church, is the lower part of an ancient round tower of breccia, measuring 50 feet in circumference above the base.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis