DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.
UK Genealogy Archives logo

Attanagh

ATTANAGH, a parish, partly in the barony of UPPER OSSORY, QUEEN'S county, but chiefly in that of FASSADINING, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 1¾ mile (E. S. E.) from Darrow; containing 150 inhabitants. This parish, formerly called Rathcanna and Altier, is situated on the river Nore, and comprises 2445 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory; the rectory is united to that of Aharney, and in the patronage of the Crown; the vicarage is united by act of council to the vicarage of Aharney and the rectories of Kilmenan and Rossconnell, in the patronage of the Bishop. The tithes amount to £138. 9. 2¾., of which £92. 6. 1¾. is payable to the rector, and the remainder to the vicar; and the gross tithes payable to the vicar amount to £362. 11. 3½. The tithes of the rectorial union amount to £318. 19. 5¾. The church, a plain neat edifice, was erected by aid of a loan of £850 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1821. The glebe-house is situated on a glebe of 40 acres, on which also the church is built, and there is another glebe of 100 acres in Rossconnell. In the R. C. divisions this parish is one of the nine denominations that form the union or district of Ballyragget. The parochial school, in which are 25 children, is supported by the rector and vicar; and there is a private pay school.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis

Advertisement

Advertisement