Aldershott (St. Michael)
ALDERSHOTT (St. Michael), a parish, in the hundred of Crondall, Odiham and N. divisions of the county of Southampton, 3 miles (N. E. by N.) from Farnham; containing 685 inhabitants. It is situated on the road between Farnham and Guildford; and comprises 4130 acres, of which 731 are arable, 550 pasture, 130 woodland, 20 acres sites and gardens, 19 hops, and 2700 common. The Basingstoke canal passes within a mile and a half of the village. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £64; patrons, J. Eggar, S. Andrews, J. Alden, and W. Tice, Esqrs.; impropriators, the Master and Brethren of the Hospital of St. Cross, Winchester. The church contains a curious monument to the Titchbourne family, whose ancient seat has been converted into a farmhouse. There are some remains of an extensive Roman camp on Brixbury Hill.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.