DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.
UK Genealogy Archives logo

Annagh or St. Anna

ANNAGH, or ST. ANNA, a parish, in the barony of TRUGHENACKMY, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, 6¼ miles (W. S. W.) from Tralee; containing, with the town of Blennerville, 3253 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the bay of Tralee, and on the high road from Tralee to Dingle, extends for some miles between a chain of mountains and the sea, and comprises 17,967 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, about 11,400 of which consist of rough mountain pasture, and the remainder of arable land, It is a rectory, in the diocese of Ardfert and Aghadoe, and forms part of the union of Ballynahaglish : the tithes amount to £332. 6. 1. The church, situated in the town of Blennerville, is a neat modern structure with a square tower; and about half a mile distant are the ruins of the old church, with the burial-ground, in which is a stone bearing a rude effigy of an armed horseman, There is neither glebe nor glebe-house. In the R. C. divisions it is included in unions of Tralee and Ballymacelligot; the chapel is at Curragheen, 1½ mile to the west of Blennerville. A school is supported by the R. C. clergyman; and at Curragrague is one under the Trustees of Erasmus Smith's charity; in which, together, are about 170 boys and 110 girls. -See BLENNERVILLE.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis

Advertisement

Advertisement