YAVERLAND, a parish, in the liberty of East Medina, Isle of Wight division of the county of Southampton, 8 miles (E. S. E.) from Newport; containing 80 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 764 acres, of which 423 are arable, 200 meadow, 5 pasture, 84 down, 42 woodland, 6 in gardens, and 4 waste. An ancient mansion of the Russells here, subsequently of the Richards family, and now a farmhouse, is a good specimen of the Elizabethan style. The scenery is diversified. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 6. 10½., and in the patronage of Mrs. Atkyns Wright: the tithes have been commuted for £240, and the glebe contains 12 acres. The church, a small edifice near the mansion, is principally in the later English style of architecture, with a Norman doorway in good preservation.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.