Yately (St. Peter)
YATELY (St. Peter), a parish, in the hundred of Crondall, Odiham and N. divisions of the county of Southampton, 4½ miles (N. W.) from Farnborough; containing, with the tythings of Cove and Minley, 1997 inhabitants, of whom 717 are in Yately tything. A cattle-fair is held on the 8th of November. The London and Southampton road, and the South-Western railway, pass through the parish. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £72; patron and appropriator, the Master of the Hospital of St. Cross. At Cove and Hawley are separate incumbencies. There is a place of worship for Baptists; also a national school endowed with £9. 6. a year, being one-third of the income arising from land bequeathed for charitable purposes by Mary Barker, in 1706.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.