Yate (St. Mary)
YATE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Chipping-Sodbury, Upper division of the hundred of Henbury, W. division of the county of Gloucester, 1 mile (W.) from Chipping-Sodbury; containing 1057 inhabitants. It comprises 4042 acres, of which 656 are common or waste inclosed under an act passed in 1842: the substratum abounds in coal, of which some mines are in operation. The Gloucester and Bristol railway has a station here, 10½ miles from the Bristol terminus. The village is a polling-place for the W. division of the county. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £30. 18. 11½., and in the gift of W. S. Goodenough, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £685, and the glebe comprises 154 acres.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.