Yarlington (St. Mary)
YARLINGTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Wincanton, hundred of Bruton, E. division of Somerset, 3 miles (S. by E.) from Castle-Cary; containing 297 inhabitants. The parish comprises about 1240 acres. There are some quarries of stone, for inferior buildings, and for repairing roads; and many of the poorer inhabitants are employed in making gloves. A fair is held on the 26th of August, for horses, cattle, and sheep. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £16. 1. 3., and in the gift of the Rev. Robert G. Rogers: the tithes have been commuted for £244, and the glebe comprises 38 acres. The church has an embattled tower on the south side. On the south-west declivity of Godshill, in the parish, is a double-intrenched camp, from which is an extensive prospect; and near the church are the remains of an ancient mansion that belonged to the Berkeley family.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.